1) Browse to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories 2) Right click "Notepad" and select "Run as administrator" 3) Click "Continue" on the UAC prompt 4) Click File -> Open 5) Browse to "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc" 6) Change the file filter drop down box from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)" 7) Select "hosts" and click "Open" 8) Make the needed changes and close Notepad. Save when prompted.
Friday, October 02, 2009
By default, if you try to modify your hosts file in Vista, it will not let you save it. It tells you that you don't have permission. To successfully modify the hosts file, run notepad.exe as an administrator and open the file.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
In my day-to-day work that I do, I find amazing tools and resources that I use to solve problems or create content for my magazine. In an effort to put these all in one place (so I don't lose them, or more likely forget them), here is my top 10 list:
- Viddler.com - This is a great video streaming/uploading solution that lets your brand your videos with your logo (not that annoying youtube logo) and embed it on any website. The quality is better than youtube, and also allows users to add comments directly at any point in the video.... And the best part, FREE.
- UStream.tv - This site is great for broadcasting your own LIVE video streams that are automatically archived and available on-demand. You can even allow other users to co-broadcast with you and let you mix in other content into your live stream.
- aviary.com - This is a cool browser based graphic creation suite. It's still in beta but extremely cool. They have an image editor (Phoenix), a pattern generator (Peacock) and a palette generator (Toucan) and more on the way including some 3D tools. Here is something I created in Peacock.
- Sprout - This tool allows you to create flash applications that you can embed in your site. I used it to create a podcast and video player for Virtual Strategy Magazine.
- last.fm - This is a great site to listen to music and find new artists based on your listening habits.
- Stock.xchnge - This is a FREE stock photography website that is user contributed, and professionally moderated to give you a selection of great photos to use in your projects.
- Revision3 - This one really isn't a tool, but it's a great source for some of the best tech shows on the web. Formed by the former hosts of "Tech TV", their website has some great shows including "Pixel Perfect w/ Bert Monroy", "Diggnation w/ Alex Albrieght and Kevin Rose" and the always educational "Systm".
- OpenOffice - This is a FREE version of the entire Microsoft Office suite which will allow to do everything MS Office can do and can even read & save in MS Office formats.
- OpenX - Looking for a top notch adserver to use on your website to generate extra income? OpenX is a full featured adserver which allows you to setup in minutes on any linux server. Openx also just started openx hosting which is open
- Ubuntu - Again, not really a tool but a great OS built on debian linux. Download a copy and try it out, you won't be disappointed.
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
After looking all over the internet for a way to integrate openx adservers with the popular "Page Peel Banner" module for Joomla, I decided to create me own modification. This modification gives you the ability to use an OpenX adserver (openx.org) to serve the ads to your page peel banner. It is currently only available for Joomla 1.0, but I plan to release a version for 1.5. Download the Joomla Module here